Swift County 恢复实践
Swift County 恢复实践 Programs use principles and processes from the Peacemaking Circle traditions that emphasize positive relationship building for the health and welfare of Swift County communities, plus restore relationships when harm has occurred, which often involve court ordered Circles.
The Swift County Circle Sentencing mission is to address juvenile crime and social problems in a manner that encourages healing between 孩子, 受害者, 和社区. 循环量刑, the citizens are empowered to determine the most effective response regarding crimes and social problems involving juveniles. The goal is to bring peace and justice between involved parties and to reduce recidivism. 恢复实践 seeks to enhance public safety through the collaboration of criminal justice and other county agencies. The healing between community, 孩子, and 受害者 helps to reintegrate and support the 孩子 and thus strengthen the community.
Circle Sentencing is an alternative to the traditional court process. Youth who are referred to this program meet in a Circle about twice a month. A Circle usually consists of 2-3 juveniles, their parents or other support people, several community volunteers, and the restorative practices coordinator. Harmed parties may also participate if they wish. 作为一个群体, the Circle determines what the youth can do to repair the harm they have caused by the offenses which brought them to court. This may include community service or restitution, 道歉信, or meeting face-to-face with the harmed party to discuss what happened. Youth are also given goals to deal with other issues they may be struggling with, 比如家庭互动, 学校, 心理健康问题, 或者化学依赖性.
The Circle process is based upon Native American and aboriginal traditions. People come together and meet in a literal circle where everyone is given an opportunity to share their perspectives and work together in finding solutions. A talking piece is often passed around the Circle. 在这些时候, individuals are allowed to speak only if they are holding the talking piece or are asked a question by the person who does. This ensures that everyone can talk freely and without interruptions. The talking piece also enhances listening skills. Values of Circle include respect, equality, compassion, and honesty.
Youth remain in the Circle until they meet all of the goals determined by members of the Circle, 包括年轻人. If they complete the program successfully, their charges do not remain on their record. If participating youth choose to leave the program, they will return to court for sentencing.
- Learn how their behaviors affect others and answer directly to the people they have harmed.
- Develop relationships with other adults in the community, who provide them with both support and accountability as they learn to make positive changes in their lives.
- Are able to keep a clean criminal record if they complete the program successfully.
- Are given support in dealing with potential difficulties they are experiencing, making decisions about appropriate discipline, 改善沟通.
- Can share how the crime has affected them.
- Gain support from other people in the community.
- Community members are given the opportunity to work together to mentor youth and make our communities safer and healthier.